EXPOSING THE BOOK CHANGES: EXTENSIVE LIST OF MAJOR CHANGES IN SRILA PRABHUPADA’S ORIGINAL BOOKS
Hare Krsna. It is known to many that Srila Prabhupada’s original books have undergone drastic changes. The editors have claimed that they have fixed only the grammatical errors and have kept the writings philosophically untouched, but this is not so. Therefore, the following list of book changes has been compiled to present the changes in an explicit manner for all to know. This analysis of book changes will clear the confusions and will encourage the devotees to stick to the original pre-1978 first edition books by Srila Prabhupada.
It should be noted that some of Srila Prabhupada’s books were changed even during his physical presence. Some of these are Srimad Bhagavatam, Isopanishad, Easy Journey To Other Planets, Teachings of Lord Caitanya. Some quotes are presented towards the end of the article which prove that even such revisions were rejected by Srila Prabhupada.The comparisons have been done for both pre-1978 first editions and pre and post-1978 first and second editions. Hence the devotees are advised to read the first edition pre-1978 books.
A Google drive of book changes articles has been compiled that consists of over 200 articles highlighting the impacts of the changes that pose as an impediment to the understanding the philosophy of Krsna consciousness. The articles can be found in the link that follows.BOOK CHANGES ARTICLES DRIVELink: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1cyEy4E4WFpjcdEGJ67TaymZjaNeam3NG?usp=sharing
To help the devotees identify the original books, a drive that contains downloadable Srila Prabhupada’s first edition original books has also been compiled.The devotees are hence requested to take the advantage of this and make the best use of it.ORIGINAL BOOKS DRIVELink: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1nHm72gVwAeei95WDkSLf2aw5x-jRXDoF?usp=sharing
Please find the links below to see the changes for various books.
1. Bhagavad Gita changes:Link:https://bookchanges.com/bhagavad-gita-changes-complete-list/ (1972 vs 1983 onwards)Link:https://bookchanges.com/108-iskcon-bhagavad-gita-changes/
2. Krsna book changes:Link:https://bookchanges.com/krsna-book-complete-list-of-changes/ (1970 vs 1996 onwards)
3. Caitanya Caritamrita changes:Link:https://bookchanges.com/caitanya-caritamrta-changes-%e2%80%94-full-list/ (1974-75 vs 1996 onwards)
4. Perfect Questions Perfect Answers changes:Link:https://bookchanges.com/iskcon-perfect-questions-perfect-answers-book-changes/ (1977vs 1993 onwards)
5. Teachings of Lord Caitanya changes:Link:https://bookchanges.com/teachings-of-lord-caitanya-changed-by-bbt/
Link: https://draftable.com/compare/ddiGvgcORNHk (1968 vs 2011)Link: https://draftable.com/compare/OAckFvkxqXOl (1968 vs 1974)Link: https://draftable.com/compare/RzvWzUuQLrAx (1974 vs 2011)6. Srimad Bhagavatam changes:Link:http://www.prabhupadanugas.eu/news/books/dspobfco.html (1972-77 vs 1976 onwards)
7. TheNectar of Devotion changes:Link:https://draftable.com/compare/VbgnFmqnPInS (1970 vs 1982 onwards)
8. Easy Journey To Other Planets changes:Link:https://draftable.com/compare/folxIzKqerjQ (1960 vs 1977 onwards)
9. On the way to Krsna changes:Link:https://documentcloud.adobe.com/link/track?uri=urn:aaid:scds:US:53834992-8735-4857-ba72-4c4f69e2f0b1 (1973 vs 1981 onwards)10. Beyond Birth & Death changes:Link:https://documentcloud.adobe.com/link/track?uri=urn:aaid:scds:US:92b46e6b-fc3b-4d22-b215-4fb9bfd58739 (1972 vs 1983 onwards)11. Rāja-Vidyā: The King of Knowledge changes:Link:https://documentcloud.adobe.com/link/track?uri=urn:aaid:scds:US:252bd5db-6c77-4390-a4ff-c0338af19e21 (1973 vs 1998 onwards)12. The Perfection of Yoga changes:Link:https://documentcloud.adobe.com/link/track?uri=urn:aaid:scds:US:f3796fde-9e74-4a15-b23f-d2dfd95192bc (1972 vs 1983 onwards)
13. Śrī Īśopaniṣad changes:Link:https://draftable.com/compare/jUrZSmrsHrbI (1969 vs 1974 onwards)
Let us now hear what Srila Prabhupada speaks regarding such changes, as it is very important to follow exactly what he says.—————————————————Regarding Sri Isopanisad changes: Yaśodā-nandana: In the Gurukula we were teaching Īśopaniṣad class to the children. So we took… [break] …Prabhupāda and the words which the recent edition of the Press is wrong. Many changes were brought. They were trying to make better English, but sometimes, to make better English, I think they were making philosophical mistakes also. There is no so much need of making so much better English. Your English is sufficient. It is very clear, very simple. We have caught over 125 changes. They’re changing so many things. We are wondering if this is necessary. I will show you today. I have kept the book.
Prabhupāda: I know that these rascals are doing. What can be done? How they can be relied on?
[Rascal editors conversation ,June 22,1977, Vrindavan]———————————————-Regarding Easy Journey to Other Planets changes:Prabhupāda: He cannot see mistake. He is mistake. (laughter) He should . . . that is being done by this rascal. I don’t want. And the Hayagrīva has . . . the Easy Journey, he has changed so many things. That . . . he is now bad character. You should not maintain him.
[Conversation A ,MAYAPUR – February 27, 1977]
———————————————-Regarding Srimad Bhagavatam changes:“Yes, there is no need for corrections for the first and second Cantos. Whatever is there is alright. Once Pradyumna comes to join me here from India, then there will be no need for Nitai das or Jagannatha das to edit the Srimad-Bhagavatam.“(Letter to Radhavallabha, May 4, 1976)———————————————-Important proof that the Macmillan 1972 Bhagavad Gita is the only original and authorised edition.”Dr. Vajpeye’s review we are going to print and widely distribute, especially in Bombay and Madras, where there is so much propaganda from these bogus gurus and yogis. He has got practical experience of how they are cheating the innocent people in foreign countries and he has written; “The authorized edition of Bhagavad-gita will help to stop the terrible cheating of ‘gurus’ and ‘yogis’ who are false and unauthorized.”[Letter to: Svarupa, Ranadhira, Mayapur-3 February, 1976 Los Angeles]
“Note: Although on the whole one must get the first printings, there are the following few exceptions which were not first printings but were printed in the physical presence of Srila Prabhupada and were definitely not changed. They are:
Teachings of Lord Caitanya (1972)
Nectar of Devotion (1972)
Sri Isopanisad (1972)
Krsna Book (1974) “(Reference for the above quote: http://www.prabhupadanugas.eu/news/books/dspobfco.html)
It is hoped that this article will help the devotees to only read Srila Prabhupada’s first edition books that are unchanged.Hare krishna